Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Champix... My path to quitting smoking

Yep I'm a filthy smoker. I have been saying for MONTHS that is was time to quit. I thought that the minute I had my engagement ring on my finger I'd find it easy, but I have actually been smoking more since we got engaged. I have had constant headaches, no motivation and money was flying out my bank account quicker than I could enter my pin number.

Last week I had a headache for 4 days straight and I really couldn't cope with it anymore. Something had to give... The cigarettes!!!

So on Thursday night I took myself to the dreaded doctor and got a prescription for Champix. I believe there is meant to be a little more counselling but the doctor at the medical centre hated his life and just wrote me the prescription.

I filled the prescription on Saturday morning (I’m not going to lie, I was really excited) and started taking the tablets on Sunday morning – The doctor told me that lots of people get the tablets and just look at them for months. I figured if I was going to do it I was doing it now.


You are able to smoke for the first 7 days of the tablets. They are only 0.5mg so they do not control your cravings as much as at the 1mg tablets.

Sunday – We met friends at Jamberoo pub for lunch & lawn bowls

- Long Drive – Smoking trigger
- Beers at the pub – Smoking trigger
- Having fun – Smoking trigger

Now I usually smoke CONSTANTLY when I drink, but I wasn’t too bad on Sunday. Cigarettes tasted like dirt, I was able to control the cravings (mostly). I definitely didn’t smoke half as much as I usually do. If the bowling club pro (BOB) wasn’t there chain smoking I think I would have done better.

Monday - My car was in a 2 hour spot, meaning I had to check it every 2-3 hours – Smoking trigger
I did smoke a bit on Monday, but substantially less than last week

Tuesday – My packet ran out and I wasn’t sure if I’d buy another… I did though.

Wednesday (the start of 2 tablets per day) - I actually dragged myself out of bed for a 6:30am pilates class. I was surprisingly happy for so early in the morning. I had 3 cigarettes during the day. Wait 4, I got some amazing news and was on auto-pilot when I was on the phone. Damn.


ET & I also had dinner booked in. This scared me. We had a drink at Cruise Bar and I got through my glass of sparkling before I felt like a cigarette. It was more in my head & not an actual craving.

Usually half way through dinner I want to leave the table for a cigarette. Not last night. I got through dinner without it even popping into my head. After dinner (at home) I had 3 cigarettes and felt like CRAP. It took me an hour and a half to fall into a deep sleep. Yuck.

Thursday (today) – I only pressed snooze once – For the past year I have been snoozing for close to an hour – As I said earlier I have had NO motivation for anything, even starting my day.
I caved and lit a cigarette before work. 4 puffs and I realised I didn’t want it. Out it goes.

Time to check the car – I took a cigarette knowing I didn’t actually WANT it. I lit it anyways – seriously what does this say about behaviour patterns? It’s bizarre.

Anyways I lit the cigarette and one puff in it my heel falls into the grass and I trip. The cigarette goes flying and burns the crap out of my left index finger.

Smoking Karma? I think so.

I don’t think I’ll document every day, but I will give updates on how it’s going. I am pretty happy with my progress so far. I have gone from smoking a packet a day to having a packet in my handbag since Tuesday and it is still half full. Plus I don't even feel like smoking!

The next few weekends are going to be a big test. This Friday I am going to see Eiffel 65 & N-Trance so I’ll definitely need 10 or so drinks to get through that. The girlfriend I’m going with smokes socially i.e. with me so I think she’ll understand what I’m doing.

The long weekend is another story – Farewell drinks, dinner & a Sunday session. That’ll be a real test.

Has anyone out there successfully quit? Any tips?

1 comment:

  1. omg i shouldnt laugh but the smoking karma thing is very very true!!

    youre slowly getting there, good on you for at least taking the first step to quitting and acknowledging that its no good for you!!

    ive never smoked in my life so dont have any advice on quitting, but good luck to you :)

    ReplyDelete